oppn parties No Denying the Need for NEET

News Snippets

  • Supreme Court holds hotels liable for theft of vehicle from their parking area if parked by valet, says "owner's risk" clause is not a shield from such liability
  • Finance Minister says she is receiving feedback from many sectors that recovery is happening as there is lower stress
  • Sabarimala temple opens, but police bar the entry of women below 50 years
  • Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman says Air India and BPCL to be sold off by March
  • Media person Rajat Sharma resigns as DDCA president
  • Shiv Sena, NCP and Congress postpone meeting the governor of Maharashtra
  • Shiv Sena not to attend the NDA meeting on 17th November, says break up "a formality"
  • Shiv Sena says that the confidence the BJP is showing about forming the government in Maharashtra is based purely on its expectation of getting numbers through horse trading
  • Anil Ambani resigns as director of the bankrupt Reliance Communications
  • India beat Bangladesh by an innings and 150 rums inside three days in the first Test. Indian pacers excel after Mayank Agarwal's double century
  • Sena-NCP-Congress work out a common minimum programme, will form the government soon and it will last 5 years, says Sharad Pawar
  • Income Tax Appellate Tribunal upholds the decision to withdraw the charitable status of Young India, making it liable to pay Rs 145 in income tax. Rahul Gandhi and Priyanka Vadra are the majority shareholders in the company
  • CBI raids offices of Amnesty International across India
  • Supreme Court quashes NCLAT order against Arcelor Mittal and paves the way for the company to take over ailing Essar Steel
  • Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman says concerns of telcos will be addressed and no company will close down
Two Muslim litigants in Ayodhya refuse to accept the Supreme Court order, say review petition might be filed
oppn parties
No Denying the Need for NEET

By admin

About the Author

Sunil Garodia By our team of in-house writers.
The Lok Sabha has finally passed the necessary legislation to implement National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) for all medical seats in the country from the next academic year on Tuesday, bringing to an end (unless the new amendments are challenged in court) an unseemly tug of war between the executive and the judiciary over medical entrance tests. Both sides had valid points. While the apex court was adamant that the test should be “fair, transparent and non-exploitative,” and wanted an all-India test for that reason, the Centre and the states cited problems of language and diverse socio-economic background of students to demand separate tests for states.

The medical education business has become a racket following the corruption in the regulator Medical Council of India. Private educational institutions having no infrastructure were granted licenses. Hefty capitation fee for admission through management quotas became the norm. The quality of doctors has suffered as a result. It is necessary to establish a standard and a start has to be made with a standardized all-India admission test like NEET.

On the other hand, tests like NEET are loaded in favour of English medium, Central Board educated urban students. Hence, state governments want to conduct their own tests in vernacular languages to give rural students a chance to study medicine. While this is laudable, the quality of such entrance tests leaves a lot to be desired.

Hence, it will be better for all concerned to agree to NEET and it should be conducted in all Indian languages. The Centre has already agreed to let the states’ quota remain under which only 15% of the seats will be with the Centre and the states will have the remaining 85%. Medical education in India needs to be streamlined and NEET is a step in the right direction.